One of my earlier memories from when I was a kid, was that my preschool class had 2 sensory bins of dried noodles and dried beans that I loved.
There were tools in the bin to gather, scoop, and separate. Obviously this cheap and easy toy made an impression on me, as I’m now an adult and I can still vividly remember how much I loved playing with them.
This past week, my 3-year-old and I got to work on an equally cool project. Instead of
dying eggs for the holiday weekend, we dyed (and dyed) rice! You guys, it was so quick,
so easy, and so very fun.
To make your own DIY colored rice you’ll need:
- White rice
- Food coloring
- Rubbing alcohol
- Big metal mixing bowl
- Flattened brown grocery bags
Sensory Play DIY Colored Rice Instructions:
- Measure your rice into a bowl
Put 3-4 cups of rice in the metal bowl
- Add food coloring
Add desired amount of food coloring (I probably add too much, because I like it bright, bright, bright!)
- Add rubbing alcohol
Add a tablespoon of rubbing alcohol (which helps dry out the rice)
Mix, mix and mix some more with the spatula.
- Let dry thoroughly before play
Lay dyed rice out on the brown bags (or paper towel) to dry.
Be super careful, as the dye can obviously stain. Let the rice sit out to dry for about an hour, and it should be ready for fun sensory play after that!
Put all your colored rice in a big plastic container or bin. Add spoons, cups, funnels,
anything you can think of that might be a fun “scoop”.
We’ve deemed color rice an outdoor toy, but I’ll let you decide where to play with it! Have a blast! We know we have.
Ways to use colored rice for sensory play
For more amazing ways to use your sensory rice try these amazingly fun ideas from friends around the web…
- Tubes and Rainbow Rice Sensory Bin from Happy Toddler Playtime
- Spring Sensory Bin from Danya Banya
- Safari Habitat Investigation Station from The Keeper of the Memories
- Baby Play with Rice and Cookie Cutters from Simple Fun for Kids
- Pot of Gold at the End of the Rainbow Sensory Bin from Finding Myself Young
- Counting Carrots Sensory Bin from Taming Little Monsters
- Bugs and Butterflies Sensory Bin from The Ladybirds’ Adventures
- Caps and Rice Sensory Bin from Happy Toddler Playtime
- Little Bo Peep and Sheep Sensory Bin from Danya Banya
- Rainbow Rice Sensory Bin from Fun With Mama
- Rosemary Rice Sensory Activity from Childhood 101