OK, world-changers – who is ready to DO? We’re big believers that you’re never too young to start changing our world for the better…but where to begin…? If you don’t know of it already, DoSomething.org is an awesome place to start.
Wow – I wish there had been something like this around when I was a kid. With projects that range from hosting a park clean-up rally, to creating an anti-bullying comic, to acting as PR rep for your local animal shelter, this site is an ahhh-mazing tool for budding activists (really good inspiration for adults too!) What a great way to show kids how far some knowledge, planning, effort and care can go in the fight for good. While this is definitely geared toward older kids, there are lots of good ideas and inspiration for projects you could tweak to be used with younger ones as well.
In their own words: One of the largest global orgs for young people and social change, our 4.8 million members in 130 countries tackle volunteer campaigns that impact every cause. Poverty. Discrimination. The environment. And everything else. Our promise: Any cause, anytime, anywhere.
Some of our favorite things about it:
- It doesn’t just share causes – it gives great information and facts
- Encourages group participation & sharing
- Utilizes social media, but doesn’t require it
- Promotes goal-setting, activism, volunteering & community service
- The search provides a super-simple way to find the right cause/project
- Offers TONS of creative projects and ideas for involvement
- Multiple projects can be followed
*Heads Up: In addition to tackling some pretty serious issues that may need more explanation, the activities on this website invite users to create an account in order to participate. An email address is required to set up an account and a cell number is optional for texts – so we’d say this is definitely (at least in the beginning) a kid + parent thing.
Happy MLK day, young do-ers!