Witches and warlocks – they’re just like the rest of us. After a long day of casting spells and summoning spirits, they just want to hang up their brooms, peel off their boots, and stretch those warty little tootsies.
Invite your littles to play designer and make some mixed media magic with this high-fashion (and high-flying) art project guaranteed to get everyone in the Halloween spirit!
And for those of you up for a little extra hocus-pocus, when you’re done with this project be sure to visit the next post to help you turn one of our witch boot templates into a black cat paper bag luminary!
Looking for another artful Halloween activity? Our faux bat taxidermy or scrap paper ghost art make equally dreadful homemade Hallowen decor. And these autumn-inspired magic wands are the perfect accessories for your own little witches and warlocks.
For your own witch or warlock boots on a broomstick you’ll need:
Note: We prefer to shop locally or use what we have at home, but this list contains a few Amazon affiliate links for reference. As Amazon Associates we make a small commission on qualifying purchases.*
- Heavy cardstock or watercolor paper
- Mixed media art supplies like paper scraps, tissue paper, paint, chalk, pastels, crayons, googly eyes, feathers, or other art supplies to decorate
- A glue stick
DIY Mixed Media Witch’s Boots Instructions:
- Gather assorted art and craft supplies
For our first set of boots, we kept it simple with paper supplies for collaging. I like to keep a wide variety of papers on hand and present lots of options. I save ALL the scrap paper bits and DIY my own patterned paper (you can download the Memphis pattern sheets shown here to make your own too!).
- Trace boot templates onto paper
Trace the witch boot templates of your choice onto heavy cardstock or watercolor paper. We tried out a few different designs on a variety of colors and types of paper.
- Cut out
Carefully cut out your traced witch and warlock boots.
Use any combination of supplies you prefer to decorate your boots!
- Thread laces through your witch’s boots
Use a hole punch to make holes for your witch’s boot laces and thread with a ribbon.
- Attach both boots with a string
Tape a ribbon or string to the back of both of your witch’s boots to hang them.
- Make your witch’s broomstick
Prep your witch’s broomstick by wrapping a bundle of straw, gluing to a stick with a glue gun, and tying on a ribbon or string for hanging.
We have tall grasses in our yard that have dried and I can easily cut, but you can use raffia or any dried stems or foliage you have around.
- Hang up
Hang your witch’s broom and loop your boots around the broomstick with a flourish.
We had so much making making our first set of boots, we designed them for a whole coven using these different supplies…
More ways to decorate your witch and warlock boots:
- Design a pair of boots for a witch who walks on the wild side (literally) by creating creature-like kicks. After adding a bit of fur with cut paper, scales (a pencil eraser dipped in paint makes a great scale stamp!) googly eyes, and a few well-placed features, we had a pair of monstrously cute Halloween boots that were ready to come ALIVE. White oil pastel or chalk would also be fun to experiment with.
- Use bleeding tissue paper for a fun and unique process that creates a lovely watercolor work. This works especially well with younger kids, as they can just use a squirt bottle filled with water, then let dry. The tissue paper falls right off leaving bright, lovely colors behind. We punched two holes in the ankle of our boots, threaded a ribbon through, and finished this set off with some handsome bows!
- Present paint and a variety of craft supplies for process art witch’s boots. Let the Halloween spirit steer your process.
- Cast a stylish spell with magical charm boots. Cut stars out of tin foil, or use foil stickers to create swirly bewitching patterns on your boots.
Do you have a secret favorite art supply? This is the time to pull it out and create some fabulous footwear!
Running short on time or need a different kind of project? There are so many ways to conjour up a little crafty mischief with these boots…
More ways to use your witch and warlock boots
- Simply print the boot template of your choice onto copy paper, then color, draw and design right on the page.
- Instead of hanging from a broomstick, glue your finished boots to a colorful piece of paper and slide into a frame for boo-tiful Halloween table decoration.
- Cut a boot out of a piece of cardboard, paint then tape to the front of a tall, thin stem vase. Fill the vase with flowers to create the wicked cool illusion of a witch’s boot bouquet.
- Trace the boot templates onto each side of a cardboard box, cut out, cover the inside with colorful tissue paper, then place one or two flameless tea lights inside for a witchy lantern.
For a Halloween coloring and drawing activity you can prepare in a pinch, download our free printable mini Halloween doodle books. Our haunted picture frames printable make perfectly spooky print-and-go drawing prompts. Or dress up the cutest set of little haunts with our printable costume-a-ghost sticker set.
*A note about Amazon affiliate links: We strive to use simple, earth-friendly supplies that can be purchased locally whenever we can, but sometimes we find the best universally available options, a rare eco-friendly find, or a niche product only available on Amazon. When included in our supply list, these products are affiliate links, and if you click-through to make a purchase, we receive a small commission that helps us re-order these supplies!