No products in the cart.
For all of you still recovering from Thanksgiving overexertion, I have the PERFECT weeknight activity to entertain your kiddos AND create a lovely handmade holiday decoration. This unbelievably easy DIY felt garland only takes only 3 supplies and 2 steps. Within about 30 minutes (less with little helping hands) you’ll have a very fun, tres chic holiday decoration you can put just about anywhere and reuse the whole year round!
Now I ask you…how cute is that garland?? Whether you like to decorate for the holidays on November 1st, or 2 weeks before Christmas, this is the perfect early winter make-in-an evening holiday activity. If your family celebrates Thanksgiving with a craft session (a turkey day classic in my family!) this is a great option, as the only prep it takes is buying felt and laying out scissors. For younger kids, you can combine it with our free printable Thanksgiving mini doodle books or gingerbread and snowman playdough mats for an incredibly manageable, low-stress full day of fun holiday activities!
For a unique modern spin on holiday garlands visit our mix-and-match patterned pine tree garland DIY!
To make your own felt garland you’ll need:
- The equivalent of about 12 standard-sized squares of felt (you can use scraps, ribbon or mix fabrics too!)
- Twine or yarn
Easy DIY Felt Garland Instructions:
- Cut strips of felt in multiple colors
- Tie and knot each strip around a long cut of yarn
Knot each rectangle around a length of twine or yarn (I’d keep it on a big ball until you’ve used all your pieces, then cut at the end).
BOOM. That. Is. It!! You can create patterns with the colors, or just zen out and grab random strips while you watch a movie. Happy garlanding!
Every part of this project is kid-friendly (except for maybe the cutting depending on age, because you’ll need to use some sharper scissors). It’s super fun for kids who want to pick their own colors and patterns and is great practice for cutting, tying, and pattern-planning. My favorite part? This garland can be reused for any special occasion!
More quick holiday DIYs your kids can help make
- Our watercolor peace and love paper wreath is an annual holiday favorite and one of our most shared posts EVER. You’ll fall in love with these retro wreaths that celebrate the spirit of the season with some low-key watercoloring.
- These simple but stylish paint-dipped clay ornaments are a great way for the whole family to make cool holiday keepsakes
- If you have a cereal box and some sticks, you’ve got the basic supplies you need to make our dapper standing cardboard reindeer
- Collage your way to the perfect holiday mantel decor with our mini modern cardboard village – as simple as a DIY winter village gets!
- Hungry for more kids’ crafts that use supplies you already have? Visit the full collection of our favorite kids’ holiday crafts from everyday supplies.
- Wrap it all up with some recycled DIY phonebook wrapping paper – process art + green gifting? Holiday WIN.
For EVEN MORE kid-friendly homemade holiday crafts, be sure to visit our DIY holiday card holder made from pinecones and twigs, a gorgeous flameless kids’ menorah, or this wintry small world setup that doubles as a simple DIY Christmas countdown!